Main Content Start
Old-World Methods and Modernist Techniques
Baking & Pastry
Baking & Pastry
Baking & Pastry
Brightwater's Baking and Pastry Arts program equips you with the foundation you need to confidently build your skill set. With a focus on old-world methods and modernist techniques, you'll exercise an inquiry-based approach to better understand the science, technique, precision and creativity behind pastry and baking arts.
Brightwater's state-of-the-art equipment, such as a grain mill, chocolate tempering machine, industrial ice cream maker, and four steam-injected deck ovens, will give you the true experience of making creations from scratch.
Whether your goal is to master patisserie, artisanal bread baking, cake decorating
or confectionery, you'll emerge from the program with the knowledge and skills necessary
to succeed in careers such as a pastry chef, bakery owner, cake decorator, food stylist
CISQ 1103 Intro to Computer Information
ENGL 1013 Composition I
ENGL 1023 Composition II
MATH 1003 Survey of Technical Math OR
MTCM 1003 Comm and Math for Workforce AND MATH 1001 Special Topics Surv Tech Math
MATH 1204 College Algebra with Review *
* Students intending to transfer to a 4 year institution should College Algebra
FDST 1003 Food Systems
FDST 1013 Food Safety
FDST 1023 Foundations
FDST 1103 Culinary Nutrition
FDST 1503 Beverage Management
FDST 1603 Cost Control
FDST 1213 Breads
FDST 1233 Chocolate
FDST 1223 Cakes and Decorations
FDST 2203 Classical Pastries
FDST 2213 Advanced Breads
FDST 2223 Advanced Cakes
FDST 2813 Baking Capstone
FDST 2903 Internship **
FDST ELECTIVE - see course catalog for additional Food Study classes
** FDST 2911 Practicum I, FDST 2921 Practicum II, and FDST 2931 Practicum III, may substitute for FDST 2903 Internship
Degree, Costs & Careers
NWACC proudly offers students an accessible and affordable higher education. Visit the Treasurer's office for detailed fees.
Remember, financial aid is available for eligible students.
In addition to tuition costs, students will be responsible for the approximate cost of the items listed below to complete the program:
|Lab Fees||Visit the Treasurer's office|
Uniforms, textbooks, and culinary sets are available through the NWACC Bookstore.
Opportunities continue to be endless in the food industry as it is always evolving and innovating. Brightwater's programs prepare you for a career that fits your specific skills, personality and aspirations.
Receiving an AAS degree focusing in Baking and Pastry will allow you a chance to progress rapidly in the industry in an array of diverse settings.
Some opportunities include:
- Pastry Chef
- Bakery Owner
- Cake Decorator
- Cookbook Author
- Food Stylist
- Pastry shop owner
- Product Developer
- Baked-goods Catering
As you progress through Brightwater's Baking & Pastry program, you'll obtain a spread of knowledge and skills. View the information below to learn more.
- Analyze the effects of various costs—including time—on financial sustainability.
- Develop, communicate, and implement a plan for a successful business.
- Continually evaluate and maintain a clean, safe environment for employees and customers, and comply with relevant codes.
- Interpersonal: Communicate clearly, effectively, efficiently, and appropriately with colleagues, superiors, and guests.
- Work ethic: Exceed employer expectations for appearance and behaviors.
- Evaluate the impact of one’s work on people, the planet, and profits, and demonstrate stewardship of resources.
- Use effectively the fundamental processes and methods for food preparation.
For more information, view frequently asked questions.